Sunday 9 February 2014

IDIOM:TWIDDLE ONE'S THUMBS-How To Speak English Fluently-Easy Grammar Lesson-Improve Speaking Skills


Posted by Nash Biani 
how-can-i-speak-english-improve-grammar-vocabulary-pronunciation-words-speaking

Speak English Fluently With The Help Of Idioms

twiddle one’s thumbs

What is the meaning of this idiom?

How do we use it while speaking English?


Use of 'twiddle one's thumbs' in spoken English


twiddle one’s thumbs: to be idle for a while, to do nothing  for some time, usually while waiting for someone to arrive or for something to happen.

This idiom has negative overtones in the sense that it is used either as a complaint by the speaker or to say that someone had a bad time waiting for somebody or for something to happen.

Exmples:
1. 'The train was late so I sat on the platform twiddling my thumbs for almost an hour.'

This means it was frustrating to wait for the train but I had no option. I was forced to wait for the train to arrive.

2. 'Ramesh had to twiddle his thumbs for quite a long time because his wife was getting dressed to go to the party.'

Ramesh did not like waiting for his wife to get dressed but they couldn’t leave for the party until she got dressed.

3. 'Have a heart, John. Don't do this to Beth. You go off with your friends all the time and the poor thing is left twiddling her thumbs.'

John treats Beth badly. He goes out with his friends and Beth has a bad time waiting for him.

Wrong use of this idiom while speaking English


We should be careful  that we don’t try to use this in a positive sense when we speak English

The examples given below show wrong use of this idiom.

1. ‘You go ahead and complete your work. I’ll sit here and twiddle my thumbs.'  Not correct

Saying this would make it sound sarcastic. The listener may misunderstand what you are trying to say.
Instead, say this:
‘You go ahead and complete your work. I'll wait here till you finish it.’

2. ‘I don’t mind twiddling my thumbs while my girlfriend gets dressed to go out with me.’ Not correct

This would be wrong. Here again, the listener would think that you don’t really like waiting for your girlfriend to get dressed and that you are being sarcastic about it.

Instead, say this:
‘I don’t mind waiting while my girlfriend gets dressed to go out with me.’

learn-lesson-speak-spoken-speaking-grammar-english-free-teach-fluent-confident

How to learn grammar & improve spoken English and vocabulary


Idioms help you get confidence while speaking English.
Check out some more idioms.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.